"If we were to schedule school time, that would suggest to them that we have in mind some things that they ought to do before they can go do what they want to do; this would hinder the falling in love process...a child knows that their boring 'school work' is something they are 'supposed' to do, they treat it like work, and they get in 'get it done' mode...Now they look at learning with a 'minimum requirement' paradigm, instead of a 'the sky is the limit' paradigm."Okay, now for the tie in, ooooh! I'm so excited by truth connections! First of all, a quick definition. "Poetic knowledge is not necessarily a knowledge of poetry but rather a poetic (a sensory-emotional) experience of reality...it is not strictly speaking a knowledge of poems, but a spontaneous act of the external and internal senses ..it is...knowledge from the inside out, radically different in this regard from a knowledge about things. In other words, it is the opposite of scientific knowledge." The headgate system depends on the childrens "play turning into learning." Taylor states that all poetic knowledge requires a condition of leisure. Oh, yeah, did you know that, "the Greek word for leisure is skole and, in Latin, scola, which as can easily be seen, becomes school in English"? Something was definitely "lost in translation" with both the words school and leisure! Education is an atmosphere (Charlotte Mason). Free time vs. school time (The Headgate). Love of learning (TJ Ed). Wholesome recreation (Family Proclamation). All these phrases come to mind. Many of the ancients used leisure time to nurture poetic knowledge, to them it was free time and school time. I think we need to revive ancient understanding of certain terms, don't you? A love of learning was there because the atmosphere was there. I know that the principle of, "Wholesome recreation" is given as one ingredient to family happiness and success. That phrase was most likely used because most Americans no longer understand "leisure" as the rejuvenating and carefully guarded time it once was. To me there is something more noble, refreshing, and good about the ancient definition of leisure then todays idea of it. Taylor put it this way, "To be placed at a 45^ angle in a reclining chair, drink in one hand, remote control in the other, in front of the television, is not leisure but something closer to sloth of mind and body." What better way to wisely spend our properly defined leisure time then by learning via poetic knowledge? I know, for most of us, the atmosphere is not up to par but thankfully there will be more of how to go about that as we continue our study of The Headgate. Now, I wanted to keep this post brief so I tried to focus on just one area. I hope you were all able to follow me. Sheepish grin.
Other parts of this section of The Headgate that stood out to me were:
- Our children are like a seed analogy
- "No forcing on the parents part or compliance by the children will aid in their phase progression."
- "worrying...manifests itself in the form of slowed progression."
- Tibbets touched on the roles of males and females, I know that by design each has a vital role and we should nurture those roles rather then try to mix them or subvert them.
Tibbets pointed out that we need "order in the schedule." Although it does not need to be strictly adhered to or perfect it should be "productive and reliable". She goes on to say, "when a family is in survival mode, their schedule is not productive. They exist day to day, but they do not produce much of anything beyond primal needs. " As I read this the second time through I wondered: is this why Satan inspired employers with crazy work hour schedules? Now adays many out there will work a closing shift only to open the next day. My own hubbie works 12 hour shifts bouncing back and forth between night and day. There is NO consistency from week to week, although he is on a 4 wk rotation it is very hard for us to be consistant. This is an area where we could see vast improvement if he could obtain a job with a steady schedule. That may need to wait a few years though. Sigh....
Welcome, Rebekah! I'm glad you've jumped right in and joined us. :)
ReplyDeleteI just finished blogging through Seven Laws of Teaching and was definitely struck by how much the author emphasized that learning is the student's activity that cannot be forced by a teacher. It's a good thing to keep in mind.
Definitely true about the schedule and how survival mode is not optimal. We experienced this last fall as we moved across the country, were living out of suitcases, started to build a house, and I really, truly wanted to homeschool. The schedule was non-existant and we were in survival mode and homeschooling went by the wayside and we turned to public school.
ReplyDeleteIt (public school) hasn't been bad; in fact, Madeline really likes the routine and having friends around her for the 5 hours she's gone. I have noticed that it's more of a struggle to get into a good routine twice a day: once when Maddie is off to school and once again when she's home.
Having one less child around for a big chunk of the day makes a difference. Sometimes it's more peaceful, and other times it's chaos. We adjust and keep moving.
I like how you associated the Proclamation to the World when it came to leisure activity. We're actually going to rid ourselves of TV for the summer. I'm slowly introducing the idea - for my own sanity - but I can already tell from the less time we've watched it that our leisure time is more well spent.
Great thoughts Rebekah, thanks for sharing!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I really enjoyed reading your post. I really need to get that other book. Isn't it interesting that poetic knowelege involves the internal and external senses. Once again we have to be very careful about not dulling our senses, or our children's.
ReplyDeleteThanks for doing this book club. I have really enjoyed studying The Headgate, not just reading it. It has also been fun to be able to think back over the past year to all of the changes I have made in an effort to follow the headgate principles. We have come a long way in a year.
Rebekah...i will get on the ball with this book group. we were out of town and then our computer was not hooked up for a while and the list goes on...but i will participate. i will just post on this site if that is okay.
ReplyDelete@Lia, sounds great. I admit I was a bit dismayed because I haven't heard from you and though perhaps you had lost interest. :) Glad you can participate! (Shawn is totally wanting to do bee keeping, looks like you are doing it!)
ReplyDelete@Mystie: Thanks for "inviting" me...I am so glad to have learned about Poetic Knowledge. I find it wonderful that there are so many sources with truth out there. The Thomas Jefferson Education book says the same thing @ your Seven Laws of Teaching...
ReplyDelete@Dahlia: Thanks for commenting. Now that your family is more settled are you going to try homeschooling for the 11-12 school year? I was talking to Sunnie last week and she said Johnney was begging her to homeschool him...I wonder where he got the idea? My kids begged for a semester before I did it. How does Maddie feel about it? That's a great idea about the TV. We did it one year, I'm trying to convince the others to do it this summer too (maybe it will stay away then!).
@Kim: I tried to comment on your post but it wouldn't let me...weired. I didn't make the connection you made about poetic knowledge "involves the internal and external senses. Once again we have to be very careful about not dulling our senses, or our children's." Thanks for sharing.
Wow! I don't know where to start except that by reading The Headgate philosophy I feel so much better about the decision to homeschool, to say the least.
ReplyDeleteReading this week's assignments spoke truth to me and brought me hope that even "I" can successfully homeschool my children, I was beginning to doubt my abilities.
For anyone striving to apply the first step "Creating a House of Order" I have been reading "Sidetracked Home Executives" which offers practical and entertaining tips for those of us who aren't "Born Organized" as they refer to it. It is written by two sisters - Pam Young and Peggy Jones and we follow them from before to after. They offer tips about how to make a "clean routine" and as with anyone's model we can adapt it to our own style/personality/schedule.
Thanks Rebekah and other ladies, it's a pleasure and joy to be in your company and learn from you!